Are Koreans nice to foreigner? (especially Indonesian?)

12:52

So I just watched some videos on Youtube where the vloggers who are foreigners in South Korea tried social experiment to see whether Koreans are nice to foreigner or not. Recalling to my experience when I  was in South Korea for about a month for summer school at Sungkyunkwan University, I could say Koreans are nice to foreigner like me.

This started when I landed off at Incheon International Airport. I was that type of girl who does not want to ask much when I can find the answer on Google. But that time was different, my phone almost drained its battery and I can't do anything beside asking. So I asked the information centre where I could go buy the bus ticket to Sungkyunkwan-ro (the area where my summer school uni located). The information centre people were so nice and they explained clearly where I should go and wait, and how much is the ticket price.

Another kindness from Korean I met was when I could not find my accomodation. It was located nearby the university but I still could not find it eventhough I can read Hangeul (Korean alphabet). And as I mentioned before my battery almost died and I could not also call my Indonesian friend who was at Jeju at that time to ask for help. So I asked two Korean girls in English, "Do you know where Core Livingtel (my accomodation) is?" They understood what I said, however as probably they were coming from outside area they did not know where it was and just said, "Sorry... we do not know."



And then I asked a Korean girl again for help in the university front entrance. This time with my 4% phone battery, I opened the mail from the owner of accomodation (Thank God that Korea has so many open public wifi) and showed the name of the accomodation to this girl. She opened her phone and after searching for few seconds (I think she used Naver map) she eventually said, "Ah.. keugo (that)... it is near this university. Just go that way." She pointed on the right side with her hand. 

So I asked, "Is it far from here?" 

"No! I think just 1 or 2 minute. I can accompany you, but can you wait, because I'm waiting for my friend." she replied.

Wow, this girl was so nice. Of course I refused her help to accompany me because that would bother her. So I decided to go alone.

"Is it on the right or the left side?" I asked for the last.

"Oh.. on the right." she answered and smiled. So I thanked her with Korean language "Kamsahamnida" and left. I could finally find my accomodation which actually was located in the second floor of some kind of small shophouse complex. As I was completely new in Korea, I did not know that the building system in Korea was different from Indonesia or Singapore/Malaysia (the countries I have ever been to). In Indonesia, the accomodation for tourist or foreign student is completely a whole building, whereas in Korea it can be conjoint with restaurants, billiard place, or internet cafe like mine. 

So back again to the topic, I could say that Koreans are nice to foreigners AS LONG AS YOU ARE NICE AND BEHAVE POLITELY. Well, this should apply to all countries as well, isn't it? Who loves it when a stranger gets drunk on the street and say harsh words to local people? 


Are they gonna help when we ask for direction? SURE, WHY NOT. Eventhough many Koreans are not that good in English, they will try to help you. I had an experience when I went around Seoul city with my Indonesian friend, we got lost and tried to ask the street polices. They could not speak English very well but they were so kind that they tried for a while to understand what we said. At the end they asked, "Where are you from?" and we answered we are Indonesian, they said, "Wow.. apa kabar?" Haha, so surprised to hear them saying that. Maybe that's becaue they have met Indonesian tourists so many times hahaha.

I could not mention one by one, because my experience facing with Koreans were so many and they were all nice. Well, maybe some can do stereotyping at first because I am Indonesian, but after that they just talked to me like normal people would do. 

Don't be afraid to ask to Koreans when you travel to there and get lost. They will help you.

"But, what if I wear hijab? Will Koreans be afraid to me?"

Nope. Stereotyping may exist in Korea for hijabers and some races, but that does not mean they will not be nice to you. I have seen my summer school participants fellow who wore hijab but she just casually talked to Korean friends/people and they were nice to her. I think instead of afraid, they are just curious why someone can wear  hijab in such a hot weather.



Tips from me when you travel to South Korea:
1. Have an app that can show you the subway map and schedule (I forgot the name, but it is from Ma lang app creator). Korean subway is the best transportation you can have. It is on time and relatively cheap. You can also use the bus direction app but I do not know if there is an offline one. I used the Kakao Bus and it uses the internet.
2. If you get lost and afraid to ask to local Koreans, there are many information centre and police stations. The information centre usually provides direction and info in English, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. For example in Myeongdong, the famous street for cosmetics and clothing, at scheduled time have two or more persons you can rely on to ask information.
3. From my experience, it is kind of useless if you try to speak in formal Korean language when you are not that fluent in Korean. If you want to ask where the restroom/toilet is, just say, "Hwajangsil odiyeyo?" or you can just say "Hwajangsil?" instead of saying complete sentences like the ones on the travel guide book. Or if you want to order one or two servings at a restaurant, just say "Hana" or "Tuge (ddugae)" insted of saying "Il-bun" or "Du-bun" or simply just point out your finger(s).
4. Behave politely, as I said before. Do not speak loudly in your language in subway with your friend. Only ahjumma and halmeoni/harabeoji can speak loudly in subway haahaha.

That's all! Thank you for reading this. If you have experience or questions to ask, just leave on the comment section below. Have a nice day!







You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Hello Cynthia! I would like to ask how was your living experience at Core Livingtel as I’m planning to book there too. Do the rooms look like what is being advertised online? (As I’ve heard many bad Goshiwon reviews!) Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gladys! I'm not really sure how it is being advertised online as I knew this accomodation from my friend's recommendation. If you seek on distance wise from Sungkyunkwan University, this goshiwon is not bad, really, considering for its price given. I did not have bad experience while staying there however every person must have different opinion. The only thing I did not like is how thin the walls between each room, so you might need to lower your voice while speaking on the phone.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cynthia! I'm so glad this post exists as I will also be taking a summer class at Sungkyunkwan this upcoming summer and frankly I have no expectations of Korea at all (apart from all the Kshows I've seen). I have a question if you would kindly answer :) Did you book a room at Core Livingtel before you got there? How did you get in contact with the goshiwon? I'm planning to get there earlier and look for places before the class begins but I'm curious about your experience. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aurora. Yes I did book a room at Core Livingtel, with the help of my friend. At first I was also confused where to stay near Sungkyunkwan but thankfully my friend who was an exchange student at SKKU stayed at Core Livingtel and recommended me to stay there because it was really near to SKKU. She wrote my name on the booking list but she asked me to mail the owner as well, in order to avoid the worst case where I couldn't get a room.
      I really recommend you to mail to the owner first, tell all details how long you will stay there. You can pay in advance via PayPal, but since I did not have PayPal he said I can just pay when I arrive.
      Hope that helps!

      Delete

Enter your comment here.